Friday 24 September 2010

Reflections



My personal development and spiritual journey has really changed the way that I view life and I finally feel in control of my own thoughts and emotions which in itself is a great achievement. 
Before I get out of bed in the morning I spend at least 5 minutes praying.  I pray for my family and friends.  I pray for Zimbabwe.  I ask God to help me achieve my full potential throughout the day.  I then spent another 5 minutes expressing my gratitude for all the wonderful things / people that I have in my life – my children, the fact that I have more than enough food to eat, my job which enables me to pay my bills and keep a roof over our heads, my nice warm bed etc..
This is a technique I learned from Louise L Hay and I find that it really helps set me up for the day.  I don’t rush around like a mad woman, I take the time to appreciate the beauty of life and I find that things don’t get to me as much.  For example:
I got to the car park last night only to realize that someone had scratched my car.  They’d obviously misjudged their distance when opening their door and slammed theirs into mine.  As a result of this I now have a nice red scratch down my car.  Did I freak out about it?  Did I cry, swear and get really angry?  No.  It had already happened.  No amount of me being upset or angry would make it magically disappear.  I also realized that the person who did it probably didn’t do it on purpose.  It was an accident.  I have a scratch on my car.  So what? 
Another thing happened regarding my car.  I need a new clutch.  I am taking it in this afternoon and am going to have to pay + - £200.00.  Money I don’t have to spear.  Am I going to let it ruin my week – end?  No!    
So, I have a scratch on my car and faulty clutch.  So what?  Am I going to let it ruin my life?  No!  Shit happens – you can’t sweat the small stuff.
I have sat back and watched & listened these last couple of days and I have come to the conclusion that as human beings we feel it our given right to moan and complain about everything and anything.
For example, last night Facebook was down and you couldn’t log on for a couple of hours.  As soon as people were able to log on again they just went mental.  Seriously, if not being able to log on to Facebook is the biggest concern in your life then you are very lucky coz there are people out there with more serious concerns and yet they don’t make a big song and dance about it.
Some of these people are dying, some are starving, some are wondering where they will sleep tonight, some are frightened for their lives, some can’t afford to send their children to school.  Some can’t remember when they last had a decent meal, some don’t have a nice warm bed to sleep in.... it kind of puts things into perspective.
Often we allow ourselves to get all worked up about things that, upon closer examination, aren’t really that big a deal.  We focus on little problems and concerns and we blow them way out of proportion.  So many people spend so much of their time sweating the small stuff that they completely lose touch with the magic and beauty of life.

1 comment: