Monday 14 February 2011

Happy Single Awareness Day!


I made these for my Noo's.
 It’s Valentine’s Day! 

The shops they are full of cards, flowers, chocolates and champagne and I am suddenly reminded that I am single.  Being single doesn’t usually bother me but there are days, like today, when I wish I had someone to share my life with.  Don’t get me wrong, I am very independent.  I don’t want to be with someone just for the sake of it and I am certainly not the type of person who can’t function unless they are in a relationship or who will stay in a relationship no matter how rubbish it is because they are too afraid to be alone, they don’t want to admit that they have had another failed relationship or just so that there Facebook relationship status says, “in a relationship” That is not me – not by a long shot! 

I have been fortunate enough to have had a few relationships since my divorce.  Some were good and have resulted in lifelong friendships, others… well, let’s just say I got to kiss a couple of frogs along the way! 

It’s taken me a while but I now know exactly what I am looking for in a partner and what I want out of a relationship.  I just need to remember that I mustn’t compromise my morals, beliefs and values by settling for just anything / anyone – no matter how desperate I may feel. 

What I don’t want…

I don’t want to be with someone who thinks of me as their personal ATM - I am not here to pay for you every time we go anywhere or do anything! 
I don’t want to be with someone who thinks it’s ok to tell me to, “engage your brain or I will come and engage it for you.”
I don’t want to be with someone who thinks its ok for me to provide their food and drink all week – end every week – end for months on end without even offering to contribute towards the cost.    
I don’t want to be with someone who tells my children that they will throw a bucket of water on them if they don’t wake up early during the week – end.
I don’t want to be with someone who tells me to choose between them or my dog – my dog will win everytime!
I don’t want to be with someone who, after we have had an argument, tells me I need to go and apologize to his family for upsetting him.
I don’t want to be with someone who likes playing mind games.

So, I may celebrate this Valentine’s day as a single person but I have the love of Noo’s and I have some really amazing people in my life and that is worth more than all the cards, flowers, chocolates and champagne in the world!! 


For Savannah

For Darryn.

No comments:

Post a Comment